Friday, May 15, 2009

Peanut Butter

We found out the hard way this week that Bo is allergic to peanut butter. He had his first PB sandwich at the babysitter's on Wednesday. Memaw picked him up early and when they got home we noticed a red rash around his mouth. I called the babysitter and she told me he'd eaten the PB about 15 minutes before Memaw picked him up. He was acting fine and the redness started going away, so we thought "no big deal." Brent & I left to go to a dinner for my work and as we pulled in the parking lot my mom called and said "I think you need to come home." Bo was covered head to toe in an ugly red rash and was itching like crazy. Memaw put the kids in the car and rushed to Acute Kids Care. When we got there, I walked in to find Bo with an oxygen mask on his face and asleep but he looked awful! His whole body was red and he had these huge bumps on his face. His hands & feet were swollen. They had given him a shot and some Benadryl which apparently made him sleepy. He slept for about 20 minutes and then he woke up to say "Bob Bob" (Spongebob) which was on the TV in his room. They monitored him a little longer and then sent us home. Luckily, our prayers were answered and he's fine...we just know we have to be very careful with peanut butter!!

No comments: