Monday, August 25, 2008

First Day of Kindergarten




What a day. Bo got us all up at 6am this morning. He usually sleeps until 7, so I guess he knew today was special. I put cinnamon rolls in the oven at 6:30 and then went in to wake up my Kindergartener. She was pretty easy to get out of bed. She got up, ate breakfast, got dressed, and even let me put a bow in her hair! She was so cute all dressed up with her backpack on and carrying her lunch. We loaded up the car and drove the 2 minute drive to school. It was so busy, we had to park a street over and walk in. Daddy & Bo stayed outside while I walked Darla to her class...or I should say, she walked me to her class since she knew right where it was.
We found her room and started putting her stuff away in her locker. Yes, they have lockers in kindergarten at Hunt Elem! When I told her I didn't have a locker in K, she looked at me like that was the saddest thing she'd ever heard!
Darla's name was on a table, so she sat down and started coloring a sheet that said "Welcome to Kindergarten." I know that's what it said because she read it to me and then said "my teacher is going to be so impressed." I'm sure she will be. I took a couple of pictures, gave her a hug, said goodbye and left her sitting there like she was 15 years old. No tears, no sad eyes, nothing...just an independent little girl who has no idea that she is taking a huge step towards growing up. I was so proud of her; she is such a great kid and I don't know how I got so lucky to have her.
I went outside to find Brent & Bo, and luckily, there's a window in Darla's classroom and it happens to be right by the front of the school, so we all peeked in to see her sitting at her table.
The day went pretty fast and it was time to go back. Darla is a "walker" which means she comes out of the east side of the building as though she's walking home (which she'll never do at 5 yrs old), but it's easier than fighting the carpool lane. She came out and had the biggest smile on her face! But, she forgot her lunchbox so we went back in to get it. Inside, she showed me the bathroom pass and told me all about asking to go potty. I'm sure they talk about that a lot the first day of Kindergarten! She told me her teacher "looked prettier & younger in person"! Ha! I'm sure Ms. Muto would love that. And she said she saw Brecklyn, Evan Brady and JoJo - friends from Whistle Stop. Since she claims Evan Brady is her boyfriend, I asked if they talked today and she said "I said hi but he didn't hear me." Hmmm, not sure if Evan Brady feels the same way about Darla as she does about him!
Lunch was her favorite part, and snack...but they "only have one snack time in Kindergarten, not 2 like Whistle Stop". Recess must have been cut short today because she said they only got to play outside today for "one second" but her teacher said tomorrow they could stay outside longer. They went to PE but she didn't need her tennis shoes, her flip flops were fine for today; and during quiet time she DIDN'T SUCK HER THUMB! All in all, it sounds like a successful first day of school.
It's 8:37pm, so I've got to go tuck her in so we can do this all over again tomorrow.

1 comment:

aichiba said...

What's wrong with that Evan Brady ... doesn't he know what a catch Darla is!

Sounds like she had a great day!