Thursday, August 27, 2009





Monday was the first day of 1st Grade. We were really excited for Darla and this new chapter in her life. I feel like 1st grade is going to challenge her more than Kindergarten.

The morning started off pretty easy - the alarm went off at 6:30 and I woke Darla up at 6:45. Let me insert here how I wake her up...I walk in the room, turn on her TV, pat her on the back and say "Darla, time to get up". Unlike my childhood where my dad would walk in the room, turn on every light and say "Up and at 'em...let me see your feet on the floor." I swore I wouldn't do that to my child and so far, promise kept. Or, I would hear my mom's houseshoes coming down the tile hallway and I knew when the sound stopped she was on the carpet which meant she was almost to my room so I would jump out of bed right as she got there!

Darla got up, dressed pretty quickly, had cinnamon rolls and then started on her hair. We washed & dried it the night before but she wanted it super straight so we ironed it for the first day. We were all supposed to walk her to school but Bo was still asleep so Daddy decided to hang back with him. I wasn't about to let this day go without following her in the school to take pictures!

A few quick pics at the house and off we went. When we got there, Darla marched straight to the 1st Grade Hall and then walked that long hallway to Ms. Garner's room. She put her backpack in her locker and then to her desk. She was such a good sport about letting me take pictures while she put her stuff away. She sat down and started coloring a "welcome to first grade" picture and then I said, "Darla, can I get a picture of you & Ms. Garner". Darla gave me a "NOT NOW MOM" look, but luckily Ms. Garner (LOVE HER) understood the importance of this moment to me and said "Sure...come on Darla" so I got the pic. I know my days of getting these kind of pictures are limited, so I'm so grateful I got to sneak 'em in one more year!!!

When we went to pick her up that afternoon Brent asked - "how was 1st grade? Is it like Kindergarten?" Darla's response "No, it's not anything like Kindergarten. It's totally different."

And that was pretty much it. She's a first grader now. 6 years old and growing up too fast. This year wasn't as hard for me because I'm more excited for her than anything. I felt like Kindergarten was fun, but I think this year's she's going to learn so much.

I have to share Ms. Garner's note home today (Thursday - 4th day of school):
Darla is just precious. She loves learning. She has a thirst for knowledge that keeps her engaged all day. She is a model student and a lot of fun to work with.

No comments: